KABUL—Seven people were arrested in Afghanistan over last week’s suicide car bombing that killed six NATO soldiers — including three American colonels and a Canadian colonel.
A total of 18 people were killed in the Tuesday blast near the destroyed royal palace, the deadliest attack against coalition forces in the Afghan capital in eight months.
A spokesman for the Afghan intelligence service, Saeed Ansari, told reporters the seven, including a schoolteacher, were taken into custody separately over the last week and were under the command of the Taliban’s “shadow governor” of Kabul, Daoud Surkha, who the Afghans allege is hiding in Pakistan.
It was unclear what role the seven played in the attack.
“We are saying that they have been trained on the other side of the border, so it is clear that the intelligence service of our neighbouring country has its role in the training and supporting of this terrorist group,” he said in a clear reference to Pakistan.
In Islamabad, Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Abdul Basit called the allegation of involvement by the country’s intelligence service “all baseless and groundless.”