Carl Williams [right]
A MAN has been charged with one count of murder following the prison bashing death of gangland killer Carl Williams.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, represented himself in the brief filing hearing. When asked by Magistrate Ron Sains if he had anything to say he simply replied, “nah”. The man was remanded to appear in the same court on July 23. The Magistrate said, “it is an understatement to say that this case has attracted a high level of media and public interest.”
He reminded the court that the every person charged with an offence is entitled to receive a fair trial. Williams was killed in the high security Acacia unit of Barwon Prison yesterday afternoon. He suffered a heart attack and could not be revived. Earlier today, Victoria’s Chief commissioner Simon Overland said that he was sorry for the death of the gangland killer. Mr Overland, who used to head the Purana Taskforce charged with investigating Melbourne’s gangland war, said any murder is wrong, regardless of the victim’s history.
“Everyone, regardless of what they have done or who they are, is entitled to their life,” he told ABC Radio today. “Carl Williams is no different from anyone else so I am sorry that he has died and particularly that he’s died in the circumstances that played out yesterday.” Mr Overland has asked his deputy Sir Ken Jones to head the investigation into Williams’ slaying. He said Sir Ken will bring an objective mind to the investigation.
“He has the benefit of not having been previously involved in any of the underworld murders or investigations,” Mr Overland said. “He will bring a genuinelyobjective mind to this whole process.”