Detectives now believe Mr Holmes had been assaulted
Detectives are trying to establish the last movements of a 56-year-old disabled man whose death is now being treated as murder.
North Wales Police initially described the death of Philip Holmes at his home in Rhyl, Denbighshire, as unexplained.
But following a post mortem examination, officers now believe he was assaulted.
Paramedics and police were called to his flat in Edward Henry Street last Friday morning.
He was last seen alive at around 1800 BST last Thursday, around 17 hours before his body was discovered.
Police attended his flat after receiving reports that a man had been found collapsed.
Mr Holmes, who lived alone, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The death was initially described by police as “unexplained” but on Wednesday officers said they were now treating his death as murder.
Police said they were working on establishing Mr Holmes’ last movements, and Det Insp Martin Davies has appealed for people who knew him to come forward.
Officers are trying to build up a picture of his daily activities.
An incident room has been established a few miles away from the scene at the divisional headquarters in St Asaph.
Door-to-door inquiries are being carried out in the area.
Police said a liaison officer had been appointed to support Mr Holmes’ family.
Denbighshire Council chair Joan Butterfield, who represents the West End area of Rhyl where Mr Holmes was murdered, said: “This is really dreadful news and I am deeply shocked.
Mrs Butterfield, a former mayor of Rhyl, added: “I didn’t know Mr Holmes, but my thoughts are very much with his family.”