A NEW Zealand man, who was very drunk, choked to death on a piece of bacon and egg pie at the pub, a coroner investigating his death ruled today.
The New Zealand Herald reported that Jason Daniel Brownlie, 32, died of asphyxiation after choking at the Frasertown Tavern in Wairoa, on the North Island, on June 6, 2009.
Other patrons in the hotel took Mr Brownlie outside when he began choking because they thought he was about to vomit – not realising his air passage was blocked.
Mr Brownlie, who suffered from bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, was drinking at the tavern on the night he died and was heavily intoxicated.
The Coroner in Hastings, Chris Davenport, found Mr Brownlie had not acted like a man who was choking as there was no convulsing or grasping of the throat, so people had not realised the seriousness of his predicament.