Policeman facing murder charge dismissed from Force

The police constable who is charged with murder in the stabbing death of 23-year-old George Carey has been dismissed from the Royal Bahamas Police Force, a senior police officer revealed to The Nassau Guardian yesterday.

Assistant Commissioner Hulan Hanna said former Constable 547 Kenneth Gibson was discharged from the force under section 21C of the Police Act section 209.

“When he went to prison he went as a civilian,” said Hanna.

Section 21C of the Police Act states that a police officer with a rank of inspector or above may be discharged by the governor general acting on the advice of the Police Service Commission. The act added that a contracted officer may be discharged when “the commissioner is satisfied that the contracted officer is unlikely to become or has ceased to be an efficient or effective police officer or for any other reason his discharge is deemed necessary in the public interest.”

It is alleged that Gibson, 29, of Sandilands Village Road, and others stabbed Carey at Lockhart’s Place on Wulff Road.

Gibson did not have to enter a plea to the charge when he appeared before Chief Magistrate Roger Gomez on Monday. Prosecutor Inspector Clifford Daxon told the court that prosecutors would review the case with the aim of eliminating a preliminary inquiry and sending the case straight to the Supreme Court by a voluntary bill of indictment. Gibson will appear before Magistrate Ancella Evans-Williams on May 12 for a status hearing.

Magistrate Gomez remanded Gibson to prison, despite a request by his lawyer Jomo Campbell for him to be kept at the Quarter Guard at Police Headquarters until next week. Campbell said Gibson’s life would be in jeopardy if he were kept with the general prison population.

Magistrate Gomez said he would direct prison officials to keep Gibson in a cell by himself.

According to police reports, a group of men attacked Carey on April 24. He was stabbed during the incident, police said.

The Nassau Guardian understands that the fight began over a broken car windshield.

Carey remained in critical condition until his death on April 27. Meanwhile, police are looking for other suspects who they believe were involved in Carey’s death.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply