A week after Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Paula Llewellyn ruled that he be charged with murder, Constable Orlando Lamont attempted to flee the island on Saturday but was nabbed at the Sangster International Airport by his colleagues.
“He was heading to the United States, but little did he know that we had put a stop order on him at the two international airports prior to the ruling,” Assistant Commissioner of Police Granville Gause told The Gleaner yesterday.
Lamont was implicated in the fatal shooting of 32-year-old Everton Parchment on April 3. Parchment, who resided in Arnett Gardens, was returning from a wedding reception with relatives and friends when they came upon a police spot check on Spanish Town Road, Kingston.
Immediately after Parchment was signalled to stop by policemen, eyewitnesses said they heard an explosion. Parchment suffered a bullet wound to the neck.
As the Bureau of Special Investigations (BSI) commenced its probe into the matter, Lamont was interdicted by Police Commissioner Owen Ellington. On April 16, the DPP ruled that he be charged with murder.
He has been jailed since Saturday.
“He will be going before the court tomorrow (today),” Gause, the head of the BSI, said.
The constable, who is believed to be in his late 20s, is the third member of the police force to be charged with wounding or murder since the start of the year. The BSI confirmed that Constable Joseph Stanley was arrested and charged on January 15 in connection with the shooting of a woman at a bar on August 30 last year in St Andrew.
The third policeman, Constable Lawrence Burrell, was charged in connection with the tragic fire at the Armadale Juvenile Correctional Centre in St Ann.