‘Girls kicked gay man to death like a scene in Clockwork Orange

 Ian Baynham “Defenceless”: Ian Baynham was punched to the ground in Trafalgar Square and was stamped on and kicked in the head. He died 18 days after the attack.

Ruby Thomas and Rachel Burke, both 18, stamped on Ian Baynham’s chest and kicked him in the head after their friend Joel Alexander, 19, punched him to the ground, jurors heard.

As Mr Baynham lay bleeding with a fractured skull, he began having fits from brain damage. His friend stepped in to save him but was also attacked by Burke, it was alleged.

The three killers fled and Mr Baynham was taken to hospital but he never regained consciousness and died 18 days later.

Brian Altman, QC, prosecuting, had told jurors that Mr Baynham, a civil servant from Beckenham, and Philip Brown were walking through Trafalgar Square on the evening of September 25 last year, “minding their own business”.

He said: “The scene is Trafalgar Square at the very heart of London, one of this city’s most famous open spaces, home to the National Gallery, Nelson’s Column, the famous plinths and late that evening, a scene of despicable violence.

“One onlooker likened the level of violence to a scene from the film Clockwork Orange.

“What happened was an all too familiar and depressing tale of drunken, loutish behaviour. But what they did went far beyond mere anti-social conduct. Remarkably, two of these defendants are teenage girls.

“Fuelled by copious amounts of alcohol, all three jointly participated in a violent attack on a defenceless man in public. Mr Baynham was openly homosexual and what led to his death began with Thomas hurling homophobic abuse at him and his friend Mr Brown. She called them f***ing faggots’.

“Mr Baynham grabbed and slapped her. Alexander intervened and lunged at him, punching him in the face. He fell to the ground.

“It is certain that the force of the punch was such as to render him unconscious. His head hit the pavement and there was nothing to break his fall. The impact was so heavy that he suffered severe brain damage from which ultimately he was to die.

“However, that did not suffice. There’s evidence that the females then began putting the boot into Mr Baynham as he lay unconscious on his back. He was deeply in distress from the blow. Shocked onlookers saw repeated stamping on his chest and forceful kicks to the head. He began making snoring noises, evidence of unconsciousness, and fitting on the pavement, signs of primary brain damage.

“It was obvious that Mr Baynham was critically injured.”

When Mr Brown stepped in to save his friend, Burke turned on him, the court was told. The QC said: “He was assaulted by Burke when he tried to prevent her from escaping from the main incident. She punched him several times in the face.” Mr Baynham was left with brain damage and taken to the Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel where in died on October 13.

Alexander, of Thornton Heath, Burke, of Three Oaks, East Sussex, and Thomas, of Lichfield, Staffordshire, all deny manslaughter and violent disorder. Burke fur

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply